POLICE BLOTTER | May 24, 2017

The following are selected reports from the Seattle Police Department’s West Precinct. They represent the officers’ accounts of the events described.

Uber Beef

At approximately 11:15 p.m. on May 11, police responded to an assault in the intersection of Queen Anne Avenue North and Roy Street.

Reports stated an Uber driver had been assaulted in the street. When officers arrived, they found the suspect being held down by two bystanders and the victim bleeding from the side of his head.

The victim told police he’d been driving northbound on Queen Anne Avenue and had a green light when the suspect started crossing the road in front of his car. He slowed down and went around the suspect, who kicked his car. The driver pulled over and an altercation broke out.

After a couple of minutes, the suspect smashed a wine bottle he was carrying over the driver’s head. A witness who’d been driving by when the incident took place told police a very similar story to what the victim told.

Medics from Seattle Fire Department responded and looked at the victim’s injuries. They said he’d be okay. The suspect was arrested for assault.


Compromised Lock Box

At approximately 2:45 p.m. on May 9, police responded to a burglary at a condo in the 3000 block of 14th Avenue West.

The complainant told police she is a realtor who is selling the condo. A lock box containing the key to the condo had been taken from the mailbox the previous evening, and she’d called 911 and had the locks on the condo changed.

 She said she’d checked the apartment the previous evening and everything seemed fine. She came back to the condo at about 2 p.m. that afternoon and found the front door standing open, and several things had been moved.

Responding police checked for fingerprints and found some on a box of cookies that had been moved.


Familiar Suspect

Just after 7:30 a.m. on May 13, employees of a restaurant in the 800 block of Fifth Avenue North called 911 to report a burglary that occurred overnight.

After arriving to work and finding the back door pried open and money missing from the registers, employees reviewed the security cameras and found video of the burglary.

At 4:15 a.m. that morning, two suspects pried the back door open after climbing a wooden fence to access it. The suspects went straight to a glass vase behind the bar to get a key to the office.

Inside the office the suspects bagged up three tills loaded with cash money and took a safe holding two days worth of cash. In total, about $3,000 was taken. Video showed one suspect brought the safe out through the front door while the other went back out the back door and drove a car around to the front to pick up his accomplice and the safe.

The suspects were wearing winter jackets with the hoods up, full face masks and gloves. The manager said he suspects that one of the suspects is a recently fired employee because they knew exactly where the key was kept. Police ran the name of the suspected employee in the system and found he had a criminal history including drugs and burglary.


Just Looking

Just before 9 a.m. on May 13, an employee at an office on a construction site in the 200 block of Ninth Avenue North called 911 after arriving to work to discover there had been a burglary overnight.

He said he’d locked up the site the previous night at 6 p.m.

He came in at 8 a.m. and found the master lock and lock box were cut off the security gate that surrounds the site. The only thing missing from the office was a tablet computer. A toolbox had been rummaged through along with a filing cabinet, a stack of papers, and some more of the construction workers’ things.

The employee said he thought it was strange, because there were expensive tools and computer equipment in the building that were not taken.