POLICE BLOTTER | August 30, 2017

The following are selected reports from the Seattle Police Department’s West Precinct. They represent the officers’ accounts of the events described.

Vigilant Neighbor

Just after 9:15 p.m. on Aug. 18, a woman living in the 2500 block of Eighth Avenue West called 911 to report she’d just spotted a suspect trying to break into her neighbor’s house.

When police arrived the woman said she’d been sitting in her house when she saw the light from a flashlight in her neighbor’s yard. She kept watching and saw the neighbor’s flood lights turn on, then heard the house’s alarm go off.

Once the alarm sounded the suspect ran away northbound through an alley. Police then went to the neighbor's home to investigate, and found a partially opened window with damage to its latch.

When they rang the doorbell the victim responded virtually, and unlocked the door for police to take a look around inside. There was no evidence that the suspect had made his or her way inside the house.

A search for the suspect was unsuccessful.

Tool Theft

Just after 8:30 a.m. on Aug. 16, police responded to a house in the 200 block of West Kinnear Place for a burglary.

Two contractors on site told police the house is currently being renovated. They stated that sometime overnight somebody broke into the house and took a toolbox on a rolling cart from a secured tool room inside the house.

The cart was later located on the southeast edge of the property near a trail that goes downhill toward the street.

Only two tools were missing from the box. The suspect pried a piece of plywood off the room that was being used to house the tools. He left a partially consumed bottle of water and a disposable lighter behind.

Unprovoked Stabbing

At approximately 1:15 p.m. staff at a living facility in the 2200 block of 15th Avenue West called 911 to report a resident had been stabbed.

Upon arrival officers found the victim sitting in the lobby bleeding from both arms. He stated that another resident had stabbed him after accusing the victim of following him.

He sustained the lacerations in his forearms because he’d been holding his hands up to protect his head. The suspect also kicked the victim in the chest several times.

He complained of chest pains and trouble breathing. Medics brought the victim to a hospital for treatment.

Staff at the facility had security video of the entire incident and it to showed police.

When the suspect returned home staff called police back and he was arrested on site.