POLICE BLOTTER | August 31, 2016

The following are selected reports from the Seattle Police Department's West Precinct. They represent the officer's accounts of the events described.


Assault in the Park                               

Just after noon on Aug. 18, police responded to a 911 call from a grocery store on Dravus Street reporting the victim of an assault was at the store waiting for police. The victim was a homeless man who said he’d been sleeping in a park in the 3000 block of 16th Avenue West when three suspects attacked him. He said one suspect beat him up while the other two went through his backpack. He said he knew two of the victims from the streets, but didn’t know anything about them other than they were homeless as well. The victim said the two suspects had been threatening him lately. He wasn’t sure if anything was missing from his backpack. The victim had cuts on his face and was bleeding on his elbow. Seattle Fire medics responded to the scene and treated the victim before taking him to a nearby hospital for further treatment.

Window Left Open

Just after 9 p.m. on Aug. 15, officers responded to a burglary at a house in the 3800 block of 30th Avenue West. The house’s residents reported they’d been out of town since the Aug. 11, and when they returned that evening, they found that a burglar had come into the house through a bathroom window that was left open. The burglar popped the screen off the open window and crawled inside. Once inside the house, the burglar pried open an interior door, leaving pry marks on the door and its frame. The burglar took a backpack, two laptops, a bluetooth speaker and a DVD player. The burglar exited through a sliding glass door in the back of the house, which he left open.

Stolen Bike

Just before 7 p.m. on Aug. 16, a resident living in the 3200 block of 12th Avenue West called 911 to report that their bike had been stolen from the detached garage at their house. The resident said the bike was stolen sometime between 5 p.m. on Aug. 11 and 9 a.m. on Aug. 13. The victim said they paid about $900 for the bike in 2010. The garage’s main doors were locked with a padlock, but when police went to check, officers determined they could pull the doors open wide enough to crawl through. The burglar likely pulled the doors open and crawled through, then walked the bike out the garage door.