POLICE BLOTTER | May 20, 2015

The following are selected reports from the Seattle Police Department’s West Precinct. They represent the officers’ accounts of the events described.



On May 11 at 5:13 p.m., police responded to a building in the 1500 block of Armory Way in response to a 911 call reporting a burglary that had occurred over the weekend.

The site manager reported he’d discovered the burglary when he arrived at work. He said a large amount of copper piping had been removed from the ceilings and walls, and there were several areas where the ceiling had been removed and copper pipes were cut and removed.

One room had been flooded with at least 5,000 gallons of contaminated water.

The manager also reported finding several camps inside the building, where squatters had been sleeping and eating.

While walking the building, he found a man still in the building; he was kicked out.

The manager reported that, in addition to having to clean up the trash left behind by the squatters, there was significant damage done to the building. Due to the cutting of pipes and wires, the power to the building was no longer working.

Plans call for police to patrol the building at night and on the weekends until the building is completed.


Unlocked door

On May 5 at 5:15 p.m., police responded to a reported burglary at a home on 31st Avenue West.

The victims said they had left their basement door unlocked from 1:30 p.m. until 4 p.m. so the dog walker could enter. During that time, a burglar entered and ransacked a bedroom.

The dresser drawers were pulled out and dumped, and the closet had been rifled through.

The burglar stole about $5,000 worth of jewelry, including rings, watches and bracelets, as well as a tablet computer.

A muddy footprint was left on the floor just inside the basement door.


Stolen bike

On May 12 at 9:39 p.m., police responded to a home on West Wheeler Street in response to a report of a bike stolen from a detached garage.

The homeowner said his custom bicycle, worth about $10,000, had been leaning up against a wall in the garage.

At about 3 p.m. relatives opened the garage door and were doing some work outside around the house.

He arrived home around 5 p.m. and saw the bike was missing.


Alarm trip

Police responded to a burglary at a business in the 300 block of West Galer Street at 8:02 p.m. on May 12.

The owner told police someone had attempted to break into the business overnight, and that the alarm had been tripped between 2 and 2:15 a.m.

The back door had significant damage to the frame and deadbolt lock, from someone prying it open.

The owner said nothing was taken, but he was doing a more complete inventory in the coming days.

Responding officers searched the business for clues, including dusting the door and doorframe for fingerprints. 


Pried door

The owner of a business in the 2400 block of Queen Anne Avenue North called 911 at 9:11 a.m. on May 11 to report someone had attempted to pry the front door open overnight.

The burglar was unsuccessful in getting into the business; however, there was significant damage done to the door and its lock.