POLICE BLOTTER | Feb. 18, 2015

The following are selected reports from the Seattle Police Department’s West Precinct, written by Lydia Sprague. They represent the officers’ accounts of the events described.



On Feb. 8 at 1:39 a.m., police responded to the home of a man who reported that he’d been robbed the night before in the 400 block of First Avenue North.

He said he’d left a bar sometime after midnight when six male suspects jumped him. He couldn’t provide any more details because he was intoxicated at the time of the assault.

He said he remembered falling down and that he lost $900, his cell phone, a jacket and a hat. He still had his wallet, his ID and a stocking cap. He said he had woken up at a hospital the next day and got home about two hours before calling 911.


Business heist

On Feb. 10 at 6:02 a.m., police responded to a 911 call from an alarm company about a tripped alarm at a business in the 3200 block of 15th Avenue West.

Officers arrived to find that the front glass door had been smashed by a large rock, and it looked like someone had entered the business. Officers looked inside and found it empty.

A canine unit was called to track the burglars down. Based on the track the dog sniffed out, officers believe the burglars parked a car in the back alley, walked up Dravus Street to 15th Avenue and shattered the door. The suspects took merchandise from the store and went back around to the waiting car in the alley.


Pried garage door

A man living in the 2800 block of 21st Avenue West called 911 at 8:18 a.m. on Feb. 9 to report that, sometime after 6:30 p.m. the previous evening, someone pried open his garage door and stole power tools and a large air compressor.


Stolen drills

A man in the 3200 block of 21st Avenue West called 911 at 3:30 p.m. on Feb. 8 to report that his shed had been broken into.

He said the burglary happened between 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 7 and 8:30 a.m. that morning. He said he wasn’t sure if he locked the shed when he last left it.

Two drills were stolen.


Inactive alarm

On Feb. 3 at 8:01 a.m., a man in the 3100 block of West McGraw Street called 911 to report that someone broke into his home sometime overnight.

He said he had left home at 4 p.m. the previous day, and when he returned, he discovered that $200 and a laptop computer were missing.

The burglar stood on a patio chair to open a window, which may not have been locked properly.

The victim told police the house had been burglarized previously, and he’d had an alarm installed, but he forgot to set it when he left.


Alarm trip

On Feb. 7 at 8:29 p.m., police responded to a tripped alarm at a home in the 2500 block of Crane Drive West. Officers arrived at the home and found the back door damaged. One of the glass panes was broken out, likely so the burglar could reach in and unlock the door.

Officers went inside and checked the home.

They found only one room in the home that looked like it had been rummaged through. A chest of drawers appeared ransacked, a couple of trays were on the floor in front of the chest and some pieces of jewelry were scattered.

Also, an interior door had been forced open.

Police tried to secure the exterior door; they shoved some wooden spoons in the crack between the door and the doorjamb and locked the door.