The South Precinct for May 14

The following incident records from the Seattle Police Department's South Precinct present the officer's accounts: Burglary

Wednesday 4/30, 2 p.m.

A man living in the 1100 block of 69th Place South returned home on Wednesday to find his front door unlocked. Inside the house, he found his family's mattresses moved, drawers emptied and passports gone. The burglars also took a 42-inch television, stereo equipment, laptops, jewelry, clothes and $3,000 in cash, along with birth certificates, naturalization papers and a marriage license.

There were no signs of forced entry into the residence.

Police believe the suspects could live close by, and advised the man to alert neighbors about the incident.

Assault/property damage

Friday 5/2, 11:26 p.m.

A woman and two friends were talking outside a residence at the 9100 block of 50th Avenue South when they saw her 31-year-old ex-boyfriend running toward them.

The woman jumped in her car and fled the scene. Meanwhile, the ex-boyfriend confronted the friends and reportedly asked why they were "involved in his business."

The ex-boyfriend then threw a rock at the friend's car, breaking the driver's rear windshield, before fleeing the scene.

Before the car's driver could run after the suspect, the ex-boyfriend returned to the scene, running toward the driver with a black handgun.

After chasing the driver along the street - without catching him - the suspect entered a two-door Cadillac sedan driven by an unknown accomplice. Before driving away, the suspect reportedly told witnesses that he was "going to go get him."

The victim, however, escaped uninjured.

Police officers later arrested the suspect in a Rite Aid parking lot, finding the rock in his right pants pocket. The firearm was not located.

Mail theft

Saturday 5/3, 3:46 p.m.

A man living in the 10000 block of 55th Avenue South called police after noticing suspicious activity with his mail during the past few months.

The 55-year-old man told officers that he put outgoing mail into his mailbox at 11 a.m. Saturday and raised the flag. The man also said that he saw the flag was lowered after 2 p.m., which, he said, led him to believe that the mail had been picked up. But more than an hour later he saw the mail carrier arrive at his residence with the mail.

After officers arrived on the scene, the man said that he believed the incidents to be related to "tax return season." But he remained unsure if his neighbors had experienced similar suspicious activity with their mail.

Armed robbery

Saturday 5/3, 12:35 p.m.

A 41-year-old man stopped to change a flat tire along South Hanford Street, near Rainier Avenue South. While he was kneeling next to the tire, four juvenile suspects approached him holding a box cutter knife.

"Give me your wallet," a suspect reportedly said.

When the man refused, one suspect cut his arm with the knife while another grabbed the wallet out of his back pocket. The suspects took out nearly $100 in cash before throwing the wallet to the ground and running away.

The man said the suspects were 16 to 18 years old, but was unable to give any additional details about their descriptions other than that one of the suspects wore a "do-rag."

When Fire Department medics advised the man to get stitches for the cut immediately, he declined. Instead, he said he would drive himself to the hospital later.

Disturbances and drugs

Sunday 5/4, 1:58 a.m.

At 1:58 a.m., numerous neighbors complained of hearing gunshots near the 5100 block of S. Creston St.

Police officers had heard reports of a large party at a house nearby. They also believed the residence to be a "gang hangout" and a "source of narcotics trafficking."

When officers arrived in the area, they saw two large groups of juveniles walking along the street. Though the groups scattered after spotting the patrol cars, officers were able to detain some of the suspects. The juveniles maintained that they had been lighting firecrackers instead of firing weapons. Officers searched the area for shell casings and other signs of gunfire, but found none.

Nearby, an officer observed a burgundy sedan apparently moving faster than the 30 mile-per-hour speed limit. After turning quickly, the vehicle backed up and almost hit a patrol car. When the officer approached the vehicle, he saw "a huge cloud of smoke" inside the car.

After searching the vehicle, officers found a quantity of marijuana inside, despite previous denials from each of the passengers.

The driver of the vehicle was arrested for driving without proof of insurance or a driver's license. A passenger was arrested for having an outstanding warrant. The officers transported the suspects to the South Precinct, where the driver was cited and released, while the other passenger was booked into custody.


Monday 5/5, 8:14 p.m.

A 59-year-old woman left her house for a trip on April 26, leaving her good friend in charge of feeding her cats. She talked to her friend on May 3, and the house, located in the 6800 block of South Taft Street, was reportedly fine.

But when she returned home days later, she discovered two computers missing, along with jewelry, a flat-screen television and a bag containing two new purses from Nordstrom.

According to the woman, it appeared the suspect was drinking beer at the house. She also found an empty bottle of wine with a glass next to it. Her bed, she said, looked "as if someone had laid on it and watched television." She also found a King County Library card that she believed belonged to the burglar. The card, however, had no name on it - only a barcode.

"It's odd that they would have been so casual as to lounge around the house while burglarizing it," she reported to a police officer.

The suspect also appeared to have entered the house through the removable "dog door," officers said.

After searching the doors for traceable fingerprints - but finding none - officers advised the woman to change the keys to her door locks and install a security system.


Tuesday 5/6, 10:30 p.m.

At 10:30 p.m. police officers responded to the 1400 block of Columbia Way to reports of fighting.

They discovered a 48-year-old man sitting on the floor of an apartment with a bleeding leg. The man reportedly said he had been "worked over with a baseball bat" by an intoxicated 61-year-old male acquaintance.

The fight started, the man said, after the suspect entered the apartment drunk. Despite the victim's requests for the suspect to leave, he refused. The men began fighting.

Before witnesses could separate them, the suspect picked up a baseball bat and hit the victim's legs repeatedly. Witnesses fled for fear of being assaulted themselves.

The suspect exited the apartment, entered a vehicle, and told the driver he had broken the victim's leg.

Police officers picked up the suspect at 1:11 a.m. near Rainier Avenue South and South Oregon Street, taking him into custody.[[In-content Ad]]