Police Blotter | Oct. 30, 2013

This list of crimes was compiled from censored police reports and written by Lydia Sprague.


At 1:48 a.m. on Oct. 20, an officer responded to an assault at a business in the 100 block of West Mercer Street. Calls to 911 reported that a bouncer assaulted a man. 

The victim told the officer he had a couple of drinks and was dancing on the dance floor when one of the bouncers approached him and told him that he seemed too intoxicated and he had to leave. He was escorted outside. 

The man was upset that he was kicked out and was arguing with a bouncer when another bouncer came up from behind and grabbed him by the throat. He said he was choked but never lost consciousness. Then the bouncer threw him on the ground. 

The victim had a red mark on his neck, and his right hand was bleeding. 

A witness who did not know the victim said that the bouncer was very aggressive and he did have the victim by the throat. 

The responding police officer spoke with the bar manager, who said he didn’t witness the assault. He said the bouncer who matched the description of the suspect was gone for the night. The officer said he planned to go back to the bar on another day and find the bouncer.

A Seattle Fire truck responded to the scene to treat the man’s injuries and said he probably needed stitches.  

Scrappy shoplifter

Employees of a store in the 100 block of Mercer Street called 911 at 8:22 p.m. on Oct. 16 after store security engaged in a scuffle with a shoplifter. 

Store employees said they were watching the suspect as she walked around the store and went to the deli area. She placed several items from the deli into her shopping bag and then headed for the exit. After she passed the cash registers, security and a couple other employees stopped her. She was told to give back the items that she had taken and she would be free to leave. 

The suspect started to yell, saying they had no authority to ask her anything. She would not give the items back, and when one of the employees reached toward her bag to retrieve the items, she swung the bag at them. The bag broke, and they were able to recover the items that were taken. 

She was then advised that she was not free to leave, so she started to throw items at the employees. One of the employees said he dodged two items that were thrown at him, and then the shoplifter hit him in the face with a canister of sanitizing wipes. 

Several other employees arrived to help, and they managed to get the suspect subdued and handcuffed. 

Police arrived, and the woman was arrested and transported to the West Precinct. She was later booked into the King County Jail for felony robbery. 

Late-night chase

On Oct. 20 at 1:36 a.m., police responded to the area of Dexter Avenue North and Thomas Street after a woman called 911 to report that two males were chasing her with a gun. Police immediately began searching the area for the described suspects. The suspects were last seen running northbound in the alley.

Officers located two suspects fitting the description sitting on a bench just south of Mercer Street, between Dexter Avenue North and Eighth Avenue North, two blocks north of the scene. 

Officers approached them and asked if they had any weapons on them; one said he had a gun. They were both subsequently handcuffed. 

A semi-automatic handgun was found in the front jacket pocket of one of the suspects; it was fully loaded.

The victim positively identified the suspects as the men who were chasing her with the gun. She identified the one with the gun as the one who pulled the gun on her, so he was immediately arrested. 

From talking with the victim and the suspects, police were able to determine what had happened: The suspects were walking on Eighth Avenue North at Harrison Street when they came in contact with the victim. They made small talk and then kept walking. 

They then turned around and walked back to her and told her she needed to leave the area. She told them she did not have to. 

Fearing for her safety, she pulled out her pepper spray and a folding knife. 

At this point, one of the suspects drew a handgun and pointed it at her face. He then started chasing her as she ran away while trying to call 911 on her cell phone. 

Compromised dog door

A man on West Elmore Street called 911 on Oct. 20 to report that sometime between noon and 9 p.m. the day before, a burglar kicked in the dog door on the side door of his house. The burglar then reached inside and unlocked the door. 

The burglar entered and stole laptop computers, iPods and other electronics. 

Break-in fail

On Oct. 18 at 9 a.m., an officer responded to a reported burglary at a business in the 3000 block of 17th Avenue West. 

An employee said he noticed some small pry marks on the front door of the building when he arrived that morning. Curious, he watched the security tape from the previous evening and saw a man dressed in very heavy clothing with a large hat at the door at 1:55 a.m. The suspect was wearing a carpenter’s tool belt with various tools on it, which he tried to pry the door with, but he was unsuccessful.

[[In-content Ad]]