POLICE BLOTTER | July 10, 2013

This list of crimes was compiled from censored police reports and written by Lydia Sprague.

Desperate for Drugs

A man reported that he and a friend were walking towards Denny Way from Fifth Avenue North at 6:30 p.m. on June 30th when a stranger came up to him and asked for drugs. He told the man that he didn’t have any drugs and walked away with his friend. He said he saw the man approach other people in the area, asking them for drugs as well.

When they got to Fourth Avenue and Denny Way the man walked up

to him for a second time and asked him for drugs again. When he again told the man that he had no drugs, the man struck him in the face with a plastic water pistol that he had been carrying in his hand. The blow caused a contusion on his forehead at the hairline and a scrape over his right eyebrow. The suspect was last seen walking eastbound on Denny Way.

Storage Unit Break In

A man living on West Commodore Way called 911 and reported that his storage unit in his apartment was broken into sometime during the last month. He was not sure of what all was missing at this time. He said there is no entry to the storage unit from outside; one has to be let in the building by a tenant. The break in happened sometime between May 31st and June 30th.

Stolen Bike

On June 26th a Seattle Police officer was dispatched to an apartment in the 400 block of West Mercer Street to investigate a burglary at 8:15 a.m. The building manager said one of her residents called her reporting that someone had broken into the storage area and stolen his bicycle.

Although the main storage area was locked, the door and lock had no damage. The complainant resident’s storage unit had the clasp broken off and the door was standing open. The victim said he was in the unit at 6:30 p.m. on June 25th and all was well. When he came back to the unit an hour later he saw that the clasp had been broken and that his bicycle was missing. The victim said the bicycle and its equipment on it were valued at almost 4,000 dollars. 

One bottle for the road

Seattle Police responded to a bar in the 200 block of First Avenue West on June 29th at 9 a.m. dispatched to investigate a forced entry burglary that apparently happened overnight.

The bar owner said that the bar closed at 2 a.m. There is a two by three-foot window above one of the entry doors that he leaves open for ventilation. Sometime during the night a burglar shattered the window and climbed down into the bar.

The burglar went straight to the bar and took one bottle of wine and left the restaurant locking the door behind him. The owner said that the burglar did not tamper with the cash registers or go into the office area of the restaurant or bar.

While You Were Sleeping

A woman living in the 4300 block of West Semple Street called 911 after waking up at 8:15 a.m. on June 30th and finding the front door of her house standing open, and that several cupboards and cabinets were opened with some items on the floor. She said she didn’t hear or see anyone inside the house.

Responding police officers checked the residence inside and outside, but did not locate any suspects. Based upon the open doors and cabinets it looked like the burglar had been on the main floor and in the basement, but not upstairs in the part of the house where the victim had been sleeping.

There were some large shoe prints on the carpet in the living room. The victim stated they were not from her, but could not be sure whether they were from workers that had been in her house. She said that over the past week she had workers in the house, and that she also house housekeepers in the house twice a week. She also said that on June 26th she had an unusual phone call from a man who said she had won 2 million dollars. She said she provided the caller with her address but no additional information.

Police could find no signs of forced entry to the house, but the victim said she was sure her doors were locked, and that she was unaware of anyone else who would have a key. The victim’s purse was taken during the burglary and several antique items were missing from the main floor of the house, including a brass lantern, a cranberry-colored vase, and an 11-setting silverware set.

Compromised Safe 

A couple called 911 at 7:30 p.m. on June 26th to report a theft from the safe in their Queen Anne hotel room. The couple was in Seattle for a couple of days before leaving for an Alaska cruise. On the morning of June 26th they locked several electronic items, pieces of jewelry and cash in their in-room safe at 10:45 .m. and left for the day. They returned to the room at 9 p.m. and opened the safe to get a cell phone that needed to be charged while they slept. They discovered that the cell phone was missing – although nothing else in the safe had been taken.

The victim called the front desk clerk, who advised him to wait until morning, when he could speak to a manager on duty. When the victim called the front desk the next morning he was informed that the manager was off today, so he contacted the police.

The victim said that he has traveled extensively throughout the world and he knows that hotel managers have access to room safes even when the passwords are set by guests, in the event guests forget their codes.

The police asked the desk clerk if somebody could find out who had swiped in and out of room yesterday between the hours of 10:45 a.m. and 9 p.m. He said a manager had to do that, and that he would be in tomorrow morning.

[[In-content Ad]]