Police Blotter 9/22

Careless Caregiver
A woman called police at 8:20 p.m. on Sept. 13 to report that her wheelchair had been stolen from her garage, which is located in the 1900 block of 26th Avenue West. The woman said the theft of the non-motorized wheelchair must have taken place at some time between 6:30 p.m. on Sept. 11, when her caregiver placed it in the garage after the owner used it, and 1 p.m. on Sept. 13 when the victim discovered it was missing.
The victim told police she believes the caregiver may have been careless in remembering to lock the garage door. She said a neighbor told the victim he had seen the garage door open on Sept. 12. There were no signs of forced entry or damage to the garage. The victim said nothing else was missing.

Employees at a business called police at 9:24 a.m. on Sept. 13 to report the business had been victim to a burglary sometime over the weekend. The business, which is located in the 3200 block of Third Avenue West, had been empty from 6 p.m. on Friday Sept. 10 until 8:30 a.m. on Sept. 13.
The complainant stated that her coworker had arrived at work today at about 8:30 a.m. When she arrived the door to her office was unlocked, which is unusual. She entered the office to find a small black and chrome lockbox sitting outside the file cabinet, where it is stored. The lockbox was on the opposite side of the room. It had been forced open and the paper currency was missing with the coins still inside.
The discoverer and the complainant opened the lockbox to investigate; by doing so they destroyed any latent prints police may have been able to lift from the box.
The employees determined that $261 was missing from the lockbox. They based this by comparing the amount that was inside the box to the receipts.
The complainant advised police the theft might have occurred at any time over the weekend. They closed their business on at 6 p.m. on Friday, but the doors are not monitored by surveillance cameras, including the office where the file cabinet where the lockbox is stored.
Police spoke with many members of the business' staff, who stated the file cabinet containing the lockbox was locked. There were no signs of forced entry to the lockbox. A staff member demonstrated for police how to open the locked file cabinet without a key.
Staff also advised police that customers along with staff have knowledge of where the lockbox is stored. They are not able to narrow the time of the theft or the number of possible suspects.

Computer Heist
At 8:19 a.m. on Sept. 13 Seattle Police were notified that a business located in the 2500 block of 34th Avenue West had been burglarized sometime over the weekend. Upon arrival to the scene police were able to speak to employees.
Employees said the business had been closed between 4 p.m. on Friday Sept. 10 and 7:30 a.m. on Monday Sept. 13. Police were informed that sometime between these times an unknown suspect was able to break a window on the east side of the building that was eight feet high. The suspect was able to enter the building through this window and then enter the computer room.
From the computer room the suspect took a large computer cart that held close to 20 computers and some wireless routers. Employees estimated that the cart weighed well over 300 pounds, and are baffled as to how somebody was able to push such a large cart away once they exited the building.
Technicians from the building's alarm company responded to the scene, and after checking the alarms were able to tell police that the alarm had been tripped briefly at some point over the weekend. Apparently no one responded to the tripped alarm, and the police department was not notified.
The business' computer specialist had not yet obtained serial numbers at the time the police report was written, however once the serial numbers are obtained they will be passed along to the police department.

Prowl, Interrupted
A man called police at 4:03 a.m. on Sept. 11 after he had confronted a man he suspected of breaking into his car and then engaged in a physical altercation with the suspect, which resulted in the suspect stabbing the man in the face with a screwdriver. The events transpired in a parking garage located in the 200 block of Western Avenue West.
The man stated that he had gone down to the parking garage at about 4 a.m. to get his truck and go to work. When he got to his truck he noticed all of his stuff that was inside his truck had been piled on the driver's seat. He thought this was strange, as he hadn't left his things on the seat. He said that the doors were closed and locked when he approached his truck.
At this time the man noticed somebody sitting in the driver's seat of a car parked two cars away from his. As he approached he noticed the person was rummaging through the car. He approached the 2002 white Dodge Durango and knocked on the driver's side window. When the person got out of the car, the victim asked him for identification and proof that he owned the car. The suspect first said that he had identification, and turned to get back in the car. He then turned back around and said he didn't have identification.
The conversation continued as the suspect started walking toward the rolling garage door, with the victim right behind him calling 911. When the got to the garage door, the victim saw the suspect pick up a backpack that he recognized to be his own.
The victim then said, "Hey! You're the thief that took my backpack!"
The victim then grabbed the suspect as he started to swing at him. The suspect kicked the victim in the groin, and then reached into his pocket and pulled something shiny from it. The suspect had pulled a screwdriver from his pocket, which he used to stab the victim in the right cheek. The victim was then able to squirm out of his sweatshirt and take off running to the opposite side of the garage. He then exited at the northeast corner. The suspect was last seen driving away in a brown SUV, heading north on Elliot Avenue.
The Seattle Fire Department arrived on the scene and treated the victim, who said he would be able to drive himself to the hospital. The owner of the white Durango was notified of the prowl and came down to survey the damage to her vehicle.
Further investigation of the parking garage revealed that a third car had been broken into.

Car Prowl
After discovering her car had been broken into, a woman called police to report the prowl at 10:30 a.m. on Sept. 13. She stated that at 9 a.m. the morning of Sept. 11 she had discovered the prowl, which had taken place in her apartment building's parking garage located in the 1200 block of Dexter Avenue North.
The unknown suspects broke out the driver's side window, and also caused damage to the victim's windshield. From inside the vehicle the suspects stole a cosmetic bag that was stored between the two front seats. The cosmetic bag contained the victim's prescription medicine and cash. The suspect also stole some miscellaneous items from the dashboard.
[[In-content Ad]]