Police Blotter 9/15

Barbie Doll Burglar
A woman called police at 3:47 p.m. on Aug. 27 to report that she suspected somebody she knew had broken into her garage and stolen some items, including two Barbie dolls. The garage is located in the 2100 block of Fourth Avenue West.
The victim told police that some time in March of this year, she met a homeless woman who was panhandling. The victim then invited the homeless woman to come and live with her. She said the homeless woman's boyfriend often stayed there with her. Sometime in May she kicked them both out, the victim said she did this because she has trust issues.
Approximately two weeks ago the victim said she discovered her garage key missing from a basket in which she has always stored it. The basket had been located in the kitchen.
The victim said she went to her garage on the morning of Aug 27 at 08:30 a.m. and she noticed a cardboard box was placed on top of her car. She also noticed that items from the garage storage locker had been moved out and placed on the garage floor. She said she also noticed two Barbie dolls missing from the storage locker.
The victim told police that her boyfriend had gone to the garage approximately two weeks ago to check on her vehicle. He did not see any cardboard boxes on top of the car. The victim told police she suspects the homeless woman and her boyfriend may have been involved.
She said she suspects that the undesirable couple might have been using the victim's garage storage locker as sleeping quarters after they were asked to leave her house. She does not have any proof that they might have been sleeping in her storage locker.
The victim also informed police that she currently shares the garage with another tenant. She said the garage is normally closed but not locked. She said that her garage storage locker does have a lock on it. She has not been in her garage for several months. She does not know when the Barbie dolls were stolen from her storage locker.
The victim was able to give police a suspected location for the suspects, whom she believes are living in a motel. Police did not find any property damage to anything in the garage, and were not able to locate any usable evidence.

On Aug. 29 at 11:28 a.m. police were dispatched to a call of a non-residential burglary that had taken place in a business located in the 600 block of Elliott Ave W.
Police arrived at the business at 11:31 a.m. and contacted the business owner. The victim said he had arrived to work at about 11 a.m. on this day and discovered that the money from yesterday's earnings along with the change for the business had been taken.
The victim told police that the amount of the earnings from Aug. 28 was $560, and the amount of the business's change was $580. All the money that was taken was in cash.
The man also said that when he had arrived to work that morning he discovered that the back door to the business, in the southwest corner, was open. He then called 911 to report the incident.
According to the victim, his son had closed the business the night before, and in doing so had locked all the doors at 10:45 p.m. The son had put the daily earnings in a cardboard box it is usually stored in and placed the box on the second shelf in the back room. The son had also put the change on the shelf below the cardboard box. He had placed it in a moneybag, and underneath a bunch of bags and papers. This is where they usually store their money - not in a safe. There were some bags and boxes on the floor in the same area but nothing else in the store was disturbed.
The victim told police that it appeared someone was looking for money and knew its general location. He said that he also noticed the extra key for the two front doors missing. The key usually hangs on a hook in the back room.
Police asked the victim if he wanted them to attempt to look for fingerprints and he stated that he had been in and out of the doors along with his wife and declined. The man said that there was no damage to his property and no signs of forced entry. He also told police that the camera he had mounted inside the business did not work.

Garage Burglary
A man called police at 10:37 a.m. on Aug. 26 to report being the victim of a non-residential burglary to his garage. The man said he had entered his garage, located in the 1600 block of Third Avenue North, at 8 a.m. this morning. When he did so he discovered he was missing a large storage container filled with miscellaneous outdoor camping and bicycling equipment.
The man said the last time he had seen the box of items was in May of this year. The man said he had found no damage to his property and that he believed the suspect may have gained entry through the main garage door.
At the time police were present at the man's home, he was still itemizing the stolen property. Police later mailed the victim several SPD Victim Follow Up Forms. To date, the victim has approximated the loss at $940.

Easy Theft
Police responded to a residential burglary report at 10:21 p.m. on Sept. 5 at a home located in the 2400 block of Third Avenue West.
Upon arrival police spoke with the victim, who said that he left his house at about 1:30 p.m to run errands. When he returned at 4:30 p.m. his computer was missing from the bedroom.
The entire time the man had been away from the house, a woman who was hired help had been in the house doing some work. The front and back doors of the home had been standing open during that time frame. The victim told police that the witness, the hired help, had told him that at some point an unknown man walked into the house.
The witness said she had assumed the unknown man had belonged in the house. The suspect was described as a tall male with an average build. Police were unable to do anything as there was no evidence, and it was obviously a non-forced entry.

Observant Manager
On Sept. 5, at 7:25 p.m. hours police responded to a reported burglary in an apartment building located in the 3000 block of Queen Anne Avenue North.
Upon arrival police made contact with the complainant who stated he is the building's manager. He said that at about 10:30 a.m. he noticed the front door of one of the building's apartments was open. He contacted the tenant of the apartment by phone. She told him she had been out of town since Sept. 3, and that her apartment was supposed to be secured and no one was supposed to be inside.
The manager checked inside the apartment and saw the bathroom lights were on. He saw many of the drawers in the apartment were open and had been gone through. While he was on the phone with the tenant he searched the apartment for missing items. The tenant was able to tell him she was missing a camera.
Later in the evening, a neighbor told the manager that the front window screen to the victim apartment had been removed and the window was open.
The neighbor was unavailable for contact when police arrived. The responding officer left a business card on the kitchen table with the case number, and a note on how to contact the department to obtain a victim follow-up report. The officer attempted to call the victim at her listed number but there was no answer. He left her a message detailing where to find the business card.
Before leaving the building manager and the officer made sure to secure the window and the front door.[[In-content Ad]]