Police Blotter 6/30

Drunken Fight
On June 11 at 10:12 a.m. police were dispatched to respond to reports of a fight in Denny Park, located in the 800 block of Denny Way. Upon arrival officers found the victim sitting on a park bench. He was bleeding a little from the head. An officer called the Seattle Fire Department to respond with medical aid.
According to the victim, who was intoxicated, he had been sitting on a bench minding his own business when the suspect approached and sat on an adjacent bench. Between the two benches was a garbage can, on top of which sat a knife.
The two men began talking, said the victim, and eventually entered into an argument. The suspect then tried to steal several cans of beer from the victim. The victim then grabbed the knife and pointed it at the suspect, telling him to get away. The suspect then began punching the victim repeatedly. The victim fell to the ground. The suspect was about to kick the victim when somebody intervened. The police then arrived.
After speaking with police the victim was treated by the fire department, and then transported to Harborview Medical Center for an evaluation.
A witness at the scene said he had seen the incident from the beginning. He was standing about 40 feet away from the fight. He saw the victim with what appeared to be a knife, and then saw the suspect assault the victim until somebody intervened. The knife was placed into evidence.
The suspect was placed into custody; he too was intoxicated. After being read his rights he refused to say anything to police other than to call the victim a derogatory name and to say the victim had put a knife to his throat. He was transported to the West precinct where police discovered he had two outstanding Seattle Police Department felony warrants for his arrest. He was booked into King County Jail.

Police responded to a convenience store located in the 1900 block of Queen Anne Avenue North after employees had called to report a shoplifter at 7:43 p.m. on June 11. Employees said the suspect had been observed attempting to shoplift a soft drink from the store by hiding it in his backpack.
As the suspect attempted to leave the store employees confronted him. They detained him and told him he'd been observed stealing something and putting it in his backpack. He gave consent to let the employees look in his backpack. While they were looking, the suspect began to actively fight the employees in an attempt to get away. During this another male, who was with the suspect and had also shoplifted in the store, was able to escape out the door.
The employees were able to detain the suspect while waiting for police to arrive. Until that time, the suspect continued to fight the employees, he even kicked one of them in the head. Police took him into custody where he calmed down.
The suspect was booked into juvenile detention while he was investigated for another robbery.

Work Site Burglary
An employee of a construction company called police on June 14 at 6:37 a.m. to report a theft at a construction site in the 600 block of Fairview Avenue North.
Sometime between 4 p.m. on June 11 and 6 a.m. on June 14 somebody entered the construction site by cutting a padlock on the west side of a chain link fence. The suspect then entered the site and cut another padlock that secured a towable generator to the construction site office. The suspect stole the generator. The generator is leased by the victim construction company from another company. The suspect left no evidence.

Work Site Grab
A nearby construction site suffered a similar burglary this same weekend. Sometime between 4 p.m. on June 11 and 6:58 on June 14 somebody broke into a construction site in the 1300 block of Terry Avenue.
The suspect broke into an on-site office by cutting a pad lock and opening a job box. A laptop, two lasers and a hole saw were stolen.
The construction site is secured with chain link fence around the property and plastic sheeting secures the building. The office door was forced open along with the job box. Due to extremely dusty conditions, fingerprint evidence was not available.

Smash and Grab
Police responded to a reported burglary at a residence in the 2900 block of Queen Anne Avenue North at 2:20 a.m. on June 15. The residents said they had been gone on the evening of June 14 between 6 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. When they got home they found their house had been burglarized.
The suspect threw a rock through the front window of the house; it is an old-style single hung window with a twist lock. The suspect reached through the hole made by the rock and was able to unlock the window and slide it open.
Inside the residence was ransacked. Two laptops and a digital camera were stolen. Police were able to uncover seven cards of fingerprints from the glass on the window. Photos of the window were taken and entered into evidence. Police said similar incidents happened around this time.

School Burglary
On June 18 Seattle Public School Security and Seattle Police responded to multiple burglary alarm trips at the vacant school building in the 2400 block of 28th Avenue West. The last trip of the alarm was on the first floor main hall at 5:41 p.m.
Upon arrival there were no suspects located inside the building. The suspect had apparently gained entry to the building by prying open the double doors at the east side of the building. The building is unused and vacant; it is unknown if anything of value had been taken from inside.
Some witnesses who had been playing in Ella Bailey Park said they saw unidentified suspects walking inside the fenced area on the east side of the school building. The suspects were last seen walking westbound on West Smith Street.
The next day, June 19, the alarm was tripped again. Twice on the first floor at 8:57 p.m. Again police were unable to locate suspects inside the building.
The suspects had entered the building this time by using a tool to cut a large hole in the chain link fence that encloses the former playground. Police secured the hole with a large metal gate.
It is unknown if anything was taken. School Security told Seattle Police that it is unlikely anything was stolen from the building because the school is empty of valuables.

Fighting with a Knife
At 8:16 p.m. on June 21 police were dispatched to a park located in the 100 block of Roy Street for a disturbance involving weapons. The call indicated two men were fighting with a stick and a knife.
Upon arrival police spoke with the victim and the witnesses, who all pointed across the street to the suspect.
The victim and witnesses were sitting together in the park. Without any provocation the suspect approached the victim, pulled out a wine opener, opened a small blade and said, "Do you know how sharp this is, you know what I can do with this?" He then began to swing the blade at the victim.
The victim defended himself with a stick. The witnesses, who were sitting with the victim, observed the entire altercation.
One of the officers found the wine bottle opener in the suspect's right front coat pocket and witnesses positively identified it as the weapon. The suspect was placed under arrest and booked into King County Jail for assault.[[In-content Ad]]