Last week, Seattle Public Schools Superintendent Raj Manhas announced changes to his preliminary recommendation on school closures, consolidation and student assignments that was presented to the School Board on April 20.
The recommendation would have required 10 of Seattle's public schools to shut down, forcing its students to transfer to nearby schools. Upset by this prospect, parents, student and teachers rallied to challenge the superintendent's proposal and to help keep their neighborhood schools alive.
Due to the great amount of concern expressed by the community, Manhas announced the removal of school closures from his recommendation for balancing the 2006-07 budget.
In his official statement to the School Board on May 17, Manhas expressed his feelings toward the public's reaction to the initial proposal: "I am proud of the public response that we have received.... We heard how this community cares deeply about our students and their education. We heard how important our community schools are, and why, and we heard the passion to keep schools open."
According to Patti Spencer, school district spokesperson, "The initial proposal was made early on because we wanted to have time to implement it if it was accepted. Now, we have a little more time to determine how to close the [$20 million] gap."
Manhas said he would organize an advisory committee to examine the situation with a fresh perspective.
'Hootin' and hollering'
Community members have played an active role by offering suggestions to balance the budget. An interactive budget model, available on the Seattle Public Schools website, has allowed individual citizens to offer ideas to help remedy the situation.
Spencer believes that while determining an effective way to balance the 2006-07 budget is at the forefront of discussion, it is important to look further ahead. "We are not only looking for ways to balance the 2006-07 budget, but also to make sure that we have a system that is sustainable for the future," she said.
Principal Brigit McShane, of Bagley Elementary School (one of the 10 schools that had been targeted for closure) described the enthusiasm in the school when she announced over the intercom that Bagley would remain open: "It felt like the lid was going to blow off the school. I could hear all the students and teachers hootin' and hollering."
McShane is pleased that all the stress and challenges have finally paid off. "Now, we are a happy, happy, little school," she said.
On June 10, Bagley will host a PTA-sponsored art walk and dinner to honor the parents for all their hard work during these last few months.
"I admire tremendously the effort by the parents and how they were able to take all this stress and focus it on doing something positive," McShane said.
'Humbled by support'
While the announcement to keep schools open has brought much relief, McShane realizes that there are still battles to face in the upcoming school year. However, she is positive that parents and teachers will continue to work hard at providing the best environment for the children.
"I feel humbled by all the support from the greater community that we've been able to create at Bagley. I am confident that the parents will continue to play a role in the public sector," she said.
The other North End schools that were slated for closure but will now remain open include John Marshall Alternative High School and Summit K-12 Alternative School.
[[In-content Ad]]