A 15-year-old boy, his 16-year-old sister and her 16-year-old boyfriend are facing charges for a series of three arsons at Big Finn Hill Park, one of which hadn't been reported, according to court documents.
Witnesses present at the unreported fire identified the trio, who are B.E.S.T. High School students, according to Lawrence Canary, assistant fire chief and supervisor for the fire-investigations unit.
But adding to evidence in the case was the fact that the two male suspects allegedly blabbed about the fires on their MySpace.com Web sites, he said. The successful cyber-sleuthing didn't surprise Canary. "I've got some creative, very well-qualified investigators," he said.
According to court documents from the King County Prosecutor's Office, the allegedly damning Web-site evidence was discovered on Feb. 10, and it involved an exchange of messages between the two boys.
The court documents quote the exchanges as follows:
(The 16-year-old) 1/25/2006 10:40 p.m.
"Blowing (poop) up is a regular pass-time with you. I (effing) love it."
(The 15-year-old) 1/26/2006 6:22 p.m.
"I quite fancy our arsonic pepsi excursions we burn it but we like it :) Im feeling fruity hurry up and get over here ... BOOOOOOO00M"
(The 16-year-old) 1/28/2006 12:28 a.m.
"Holy (poop) in my (butt)...! That (effing) thing is coming right the (eff) down! The slide is probably running with hot liquid plastic and the tower is TOTALLY incaving on itself!
"The rain's not stopping that (poop). You gotta by the most kick(butt) partner-in-crime on this side of the west side! CHICA-B000000000000M!!!!* SNAP-SNAP-SNAP!!! FRROOUUGHHHGHIGHHGH!!!!* Sorry kids, the playground's closed today."
(The 15-year-old) 1/28/2006 6:01 p.m.
"I don't want to give our position or nothing but Sunday same kablamm time same kablamm network ... im making confetti as we speak ... but really we should bring food for the party after or to see if doritos are flammable and "something to drink" I will see ur fine (butt) later"
The references to Pepsi and confetti are significant. According to court documents, which note the same methods were used in all three playground arsons, the boys allegedly used Pepsi boxes filled with confetti, lighters or matches and cans of Axe body spray to ignite the fires.
At least one of the Axe cans was also tossed into the fire and exploded, according to the charging papers. In addition, the court documents indicated that the girl suspect drove the boys to and from the park at 8200 N.E. 138th St. in a Mercedes.
The court documents indicate that fire investigators interviewed the girl and her boyfriend at B.E.S.T. High School on Feb. 13. They initially denied any involvement in the arson, but the two "subsequently provided taped statements admitting their involvement in these fire incidents," according to the charging papers.
The girl's younger brother wasn't interviewed following objections voiced by a lawyer the boy's mother hired to represent him, according to the court documents. The documents also indicate that MySpace.com Web sites belonging to the girl and her boyfriend had been blocked by Feb. 14 so that only those listed as friends could gain access.
Suspects in the alleged playground arsons were identified during an investigation into the arson that destroyed the Environmental and Adventure School portable at Finn Hill Junior High School, according to Assistant Fire Chief Canary.
There is no evidence linking the school arson, which caused around $100,000 in damage, to the playground fires, which caused around $4,000 in damage, he said. "But we're considering all possibilities."
The King County Fire Department recommended that each of the three teenage suspects be charged with two counts of Arson in the Second Degree and one count of Conspiracy to Commit Arson in the Second Degree.
But the teens are only facing two counts each of Reckless Burning in the First Degree, according to King County Superior Court charging documents for the juvenile department.
King County Prosecutor's Office spokesman Dan Donohoe said the stiffer charges recommended by the fire department weren't warranted. "It involved playground equipment that wasn't attached to a building," he said of the arson spree. "If it involves a structure like a building, we can get to an arson charge."
In addition, none of the teens has any significant criminal history, Donohoe said. However, if convicted, the three face from upto 60 days in detention, he said.
Canary said the prosecutor's office coordinated with him and asked if the reckless burning charges were OK with him. "The short answer is, 'yes,'" he said. "We got some fire-starters off the street."
The teens are currently under house arrest and have to wear electronic-monitoring devices, according to Robin Paster, a spokeswoman from the Kirkland Fire and Building Department.
Staff reporter Russ Zabel can be reached at rzabel@nwlink.com or (206)461-1309.[[In-content Ad]]