When two Seattle Police officers arrived to the 300 block of Fifth Avenue North at 2 a.m. on Sunday, May 6th in response to a 911 call reporting a fight in the area, they did not find any signs of a disturbance. The officers decided to hang out in the area for a while, though, because there were a lot of people in the area. About 10 minutes later a woman approached them and said she’d been jumped by a group of seven or eight people a few seconds earlier on the corner of Fifth Avenue and Harrison Street. The cops thought this was kind of odd because they’d been standing within view of that corner and hadn’t seen the fight. 

Because the woman was drunk and seemed confused, the officers asked her for clarification. She said she’d been jumped by a group who had taken her wallet and cell phone, but she couldn’t remember what any of the suspects looked like. The victim’s friend said she saw the incident, and was able to give the officers a description of one of the suspects, a male. She said the man pulled up his shirt to reveal a gun tucked into the waistband of his pants. The victim and her friend walked away, and about 10 minutes later came back to the officers and said she’d found one of the suspects. Again, police thought this was odd since the victim previously couldn’t give a description of any of the suspects.

The victim pointed out a female standing nearby and said she wanted her arrested. At this point security from a nearby club came over to speak with the officers, and informed them that the victim had been kicked out of the club for being drunk and disorderly. The officer spoke with the accused suspect, who emptied her pockets to prove she didn’t have anything belonging to the victim. 

Because she asked for one, the officers gave the victim a case number. She asked why the accused suspect wasn’t being arrested, and they explained it to her. Because her story had changed and she wasn’t able to give a description of the suspects, there was no proof that the suspect had been involved in an incident.


Picky Burglar

It appears a burglar who broke into the storage lockers of several residents of a Queen Anne apartment building was looking for something in particular, as he or she pried the locks off of all the lockers and rummaged through them all, but failed to take any of the electronics or sporting goods equipment stored inside. One of the residents of the building, located in the 700 block of Fourth Avenue North called 911 at 5:41 p.m. on Saturday, May 7th after he discovered the mess when he went down to do laundry.

The storage room is in the same room as the washing machine and dryer, and is located on the west side of the building in the basement. Responding police officers examined the crime scene and determined the burglar likely pried the room’s door open. A small pry mark was observed near the doorknob and latch striker area. The complainant informed police that he couldn’t be sure if the pry mark was fresh or not, and also said that sometimes other residents forget to lock the door, so he can’t be certain how the burglar got in to the room. However the burglar definitely did some prying once inside the room. The latches holding the locks onto the victimized lockers were pried off, they were only held into the wood construction by small screws.

Many of the items from the lockers had been taken out and strewn across the room, but as far as the victims could tell, the burglar didn’t take anything. The complainant showed police that even the desktop computer he had in his locker wasn’t touched. Police note that several of the other lockers also appeared to have electronics and even a road bike that were left untouched. No substantial evidence and no suspect leads were located at the scene.


Brave Victim

Despite having a gun pulled on her, the owner of a café on Fairview Avenue North refused to hand over money from the cash register. At 7:43 p.m. on Wednesday, May 2, several Seattle Police units responded to the area after receiving the 911 call from the shop owner reporting she’d just been the victim of an attempted armed robbery. Police, including a canine unit, began searching the surrounding area for the suspect, who was last seen fleeing the area southbound on foot. Containment was set up around the neighborhood in hopes of trapping the suspect.

Police spoke with the shop owner who said she’d been alone in the café when the soon to be robber entered and began asking her about drinks. He told her he’d have a coffee, and when she approached the register he followed. The suspect then placed a purple crown royal cloth bag on the counter and demanded to have all the money in the register. The victim said no. The suspect then reached into the crown royal bag and pulled out a black and silver semi automatic handgun. The robber then pointed the gun at the ground and racked the slide back, charging the weapon. Instead of doing what the robber told her, the shop owner reached for the phone and told the suspect she was calling 911. When she began dialing the phone the robber picked up the crown royal bag and ran out the door. The victim saw him running southbound on Fairview and then westbound on Harrison Street. The robber didn’t get any money.

A witness told police he’d been on the sidewalk when he saw the suspect walk by before entering the café. The suspect appeared to be nervous, and was acting suspiciously. A few minutes later he saw the suspect run out of the café. 

The canine unit was able to track the suspect west on Harrison, but the trail ended at Boren Av North. Police dusted the counter in the café for possible fingerprints left behind by the would-be robber, but were unable to locate any.


Shack Shake Down

The supervisor of a Queen Anne construction site called 911 to report somebody had broken into a shack on the site and stolen items sometime between 5:30 a.m. on Friday, May 4th and 6 a.m. Monday, May 7th. This is about the sixth time the site on Sixth Avenue North has been burglarized in the last few months.

The burglar pried open a ground level shack door and took several tools from one of the rooms. However, it appears the burglar left a large black backpack in a tool dumpcart next to the shack door. The supervisor told police he’d checked with his employees, and the backpack did not belong to anybody working at the construction site. 

There were numerous tools inside of backpack including a crowbar, a wrench, screwdrivers, gloves and other burglary type tools. The victim looked inside the bag and said some of the tools were property of the construction company, but the pry tool, gloves and other burglary aid tools were not. He also pointed out a pair of pliers on the floor of the shack that did not belong to the company.