Photo from Facebook: Sarah Wong was a freshman at Seattle Pacific University. She was killed by a falling crane in South Lake Union on Saturday, April 27.
Photo from Facebook: Sarah Wong was a freshman at Seattle Pacific University. She was killed by a falling crane in South Lake Union on Saturday, April 27.

Hundreds of Seattle Pacific University students and professors, family members and friends of Sarah Wong slowly marched down the center aisle of the Free First Methodist Church on Wednesday holding unlit white candles, bundles of flowers and boxes of tissues before finding a seat at a public memorial to honor the SPU student who was killed by a falling crane in South Lake Union on April 27.

“Known by many as Sarah and by her family and many others as Pantip, we acknowledge the impact she has had on the people God has placed in her life path,” Wong's family wrote in a public statement. “As we continue to celebrate her life and mourn our loss, we are comforted by our faith, the faith communities in the Seattle and Los Angeles areas, and Sarah Pantip's wonderful community of friends."

Wong, 19, was in the back of a rideshare vehicle when a segment of crane fell from a construction site, killing her and three other Seattle residents at Fairview Avenue and Mercer Street on Saturday, April 27. Washington Labor and Industries is investigating the companies involved in the construction project, including general contractor GLY Construction and crane owner Morrow Equipment. The crane was being dismantled on the roof of a new building as part of Google campus.

The number of people in attendance at Wong’s public memorial reflected how her impact on her community and how the April 27 incident affected many others in the Queen Anne community.

Wong grew up in Pasadena, California, where her family still resides. She was a freshman at SPU and attended a few local Bible studies and church services in the area.

Those in attendance were given the chance to comment about Wong or share a fond memory of the person she was during the memorial.

“She greeted me with an infectious smile and said, ‘Hi I'm Sarah,'" said Nicholas, a friend of Wong’s. “She was the most positive, bright-hearted person I ever met. She was so strong in her faith and she was one of the people who inspired and encouraged me. Some of my best memories was hanging out with her and listening to Disney songs, country songs or just any songs that we would sing together. She taught me to cherish my friends and to never leave anyone with a frown.”

“I will always remember Sarah for how humble she was, and how much she cared about us,” said Gray Colby, another friend of Wong's. “From us folding our clothes terribly and wanting to help us, to make sure we had towels when we went swimming late at night, she always made sure we were OK. I will always remember her for that.”

“She saw the good in people way before anything else,” another friend. “She had a peace that she brought with her. No matter what, she was the one you could talk to and she always knew what to say.”

Wong’s memorial ended with a candlelight vigil and a moment of silence.

The other victims of the crane collapse were Alan Justad, 71, who was driving his car when the crane struck, and ironworkers Andrew Yoder, 31, of North Bend, and Travis Corbet, 33, who were working on the crane when it. Justad was the former deputy director for the city’s Department of Planning Development, retiring in 2014.

All four deaths were ruled accidental.

The site of the fatal crane collapse has since become a memorial site, with people leaving flowers, messages for the victims and other sentimental trinkets.

Questions around the companies' practices and whether a high wind had played a role in the tragedy are being investigated.

Seattle has the most construction cranes in use of any other city in the country, with 60 marking the skyline.

Regulators estimate it will take six months to complete the investigation.