UPDATE: Harborview Medical Center has confirmed that 22-year-old Paul Johnson died on Wednesday, July 17, as a result of his injuries. The King County Prosecutor's Office is still reviewing the case and no charging decision has been made.

A King County judge found probable cause to hold one suspect for first-degree assault in the shooting of a man near Seattle Center early Sunday morning.

Officers responded at 1:52 a.m. July 14 to a reported fight outside the Pacific Northwest Ballet in the 300 block of Mercer Street.

Officer Abraham Estrada writes in his police report that a group of people was standing outside upon arrival, and then fighting erupted at Second Avenue North and Mercer.

The crowd dispersed when officers drove up to the scene, according to the report, but then a fight started in a parking lot on the northeast corner of Warren Avenue North and Mercer.

Officers moved in to intervene, at which point 23-year-old Mahad Hufane was knocked down and a group of people began assaulting him, the report states. Officers detained one man during the conflict, which is when a gun shot was heard. One man was shot, and officers performed CPR on him until the scene was clear enough for Seattle Fire medics to assist and transport the victim to Harborview Medical Center. He was in critical condition as of Monday.

Estrada was conducting a perimeter check when a white SUV pulled up, and its occupants pointed to Hufane as the shooter, the report states.

Hufane reportedly told officers he’d been jumped by five people in the parking lot, and that he had a registered 9mm handgun. He said he was knocked unconscious and didn’t know what happened to his firearm, according to the report.

The man originally detained by SPD told officers Hufane brandished the gun at people, and that he’d knocked Hufane down in an attempt to get the firearm away from him. He then told officers he saw Hufane later open the door to a silver car, which is where officers reported seeing the 9mm handgun. The report states one bullet cartridge was located five feet from the right rear corner of Hufane’s car.

Hufane will have his second appearance in King County Superior Court on Wednesday, July 17. Bond has been set at $50,000.