Beer Boosting Burglars

   On Saturday, Feb. 18, at 4:30 a.m. Seattle Police officers were dispatched to investigate a report of a glass breakage alarm at a store located on Gilman Avenue West. When they arrived, police found the glass in the store’s front door had been smashed. The burglars left behind no evidence, except four loose Ice House 12-ounce beer cans, which had conveniently been left lying on the concrete directly in front of the broken glass.

   Police contacted the Seattle Fire Department, who came to assist with removing the remaining glass in the door prior to checking the interior of the store for possible suspects. There were no suspects found inside the store. A large rock was found on the floor inside the store, directly in front of the broken glass, it is most likely used to break out the glass to gain entry inside the store. 

   Police also note that various pieces of merchandise were strewn about the interior of the store. Because the storeowner was unable to be reached, it is unknown what was stolen. 

   The abandoned beer cans were recovered and placed into evidence for finger print analysis.


Solid Door

   Seattle Police report that a Queen Anne tavern had some good luck when sometime over night on Monday, March 5, a burglar tried, unsuccessfully, to pry its front door hinge off. Because the door and its hinge were solid, the burglar was unable to get into the tavern, which is located in the 100 block of West Mercer Street. He or she did cause about $2,000 in damages.


Nickels and Dimes

   The owner of a store located on West Roy Street discovered his store had been broken into at 4:45 a.m. on Monday, March 5. He left and locked up the business at about 2 a.m. that morning, and at this time he got a phone call from his alarm company informing him that an alarm was tripped in the business via the back door. He arrived at the business approximately 10 minutes later and discovered the back door open as well as the front vents propped open. He also discovered all the change in the cash register drawer was gone. That was about $20.

   The victim called 911 the next afternoon, and when police arrived he told them nothing else had been taken besides the change. Upon examining the inside of the business, officers determined that the burglar had pry-ed open the lower vents on the front of the business and slid through the opening to enter.


Distracting Dogs

   On Tuesday, March 6, a Magnolia couple called 911 after coming home to their apartment and discovering somebody had tried to break into their apartment via the sliding door. When police arrived at the apartment, located on 27th Place West, the victims said that somebody had attempted to break into the slider, but must have been distracted by their two dogs and not made entry. 

   The male victim said that he had left the apartment first, and his wife had left the home a few hours after him. When he returned home, he noticed that the back sliding door was open about half an inch. He called his wife and asked her if she had been out the sliding door and she told him no she had not.

   After looking at the outside of the door, police determined there were no signs of any forced entry noticed. The building manager was also there, and he said that he will put up an additional lock for the slider and advised the victim that they will be replacing these sliders in the near future.


Smash and Grab

   A Magnolia man returned home at 10 p.m. on Saturday, March 10, to find his laptop missing from the kitchen counter. The victim then found the porch window broken, which allowed the burglar access to the interior of the house. The burglar exited the house through the rear kitchen door, which was left ajar.

   The entry point and the kitchen exit door were obscured from outside view by several large landscaping plants and a high fence. The victim looked throughout his house and stated that it appeared the suspect did not travel anywhere else in the house except the entry point area and the kitchen. 

   The porch window was shattered and soaked with rainwater; no prints were located. Police estimate the cost to replace the window will be $500.


Found Hide-A-Key

   On Saturday, March 10, at about 2:10 p.m., two uniformed Seattle Police officers were flagged down outside the West Precinct by a man who said his house had been broken into while he was sleeping.

The man, who lives on 36th Avenue West, said he and his wife had been sleeping the previous night, and at about 1 a.m. his wife awoke to see a light in her eyes. When she looked up, she saw a medium built young male holding a flashlight. 

   His wife was startled, and called out, “There is someone in the hallway.” The male then turned the flashlight off and fled. The victim checked the house, finding front door ajar, and the hide-a-key from the garden lying in the hallway. The victim checked the whole house. The male was gone and nothing appeared to be missing. He said that the only person that uses the key is the housekeeper.

   Police advised to place the spare key more secure location and also that giving the housekeeper her own key may increase the security of the house.


Basement Break In

   Seattle Police officers were dispatched to an address on Third Avenue North on an alarm call on Thursday, March 8, at 4 p.m. Upon arrival, officers found the front door standing open. While clearing the house, officers found a basement window broken, making it apparent that entry had been made into the house by the burglar. 

   Once inside the house, officers found that a main floor bedroom also appeared ransacked. Officers dusted the glass from the broken window for prints, but this found negative results. Officers also found a chrome screwdriver left outside the basement window and entered it into evidence for print analysis. The homeowner was not at home at the time.