Computer Thief 

A Queen Anne man called police at 8:12 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 7 to report his laptop had been stolen from inside his house. He said he’d left his house around 1 p.m. and when he returned to the house, located Third Avenue West, his computer was missing. He told police that his front door had been locked, but hadn’t latched correctly.


Pry Marks

Employees at a Queen Anne business located on First Avenue North called police at 5:15 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 8, to report they’d noticed pry marks on the front door. The would-be burglar had been unsuccessful, as the door remained shut and locked and nothing inside was disturbed. 


Flip Flopping Victim

A man reported to police that he’d been robbed near the intersection of Second Avenue West and West Republican Street at 6:33 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 11. He said he’d been walking westbound on West Republican when he’d been approached by three men, one of whom was holding a knife. After they’d threatened him, the victim had given the robbers $40 and his passport. The robbers walked away eastbound.

When police arrived at the scene they conducted an area search. Officers were able to locate two men who matched the victim’s description of the suspects in a parking lot on Queen Anne Avenue North. When police attempted to bring the victim down to the parking lot to identify the suspects, however, he was uncooperative.

Police released the suspects, and thanked them for their cooperation.


Unlocked Window

A Queen Anne man who lives on Thomas Street called police at about 3 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 7 to report his apartment had been broken into the previous Friday, Feb. 4 around 7:30 p.m. He said the burglar had gotten into the apartment through an unlocked ground level window. They’d removed the screen, and stolen several things from inside the apartment.


Stolen Delivery

The manager of a business located on West Mercer Street called 911 on Monday, Feb. 7 to report that a laptop had been stolen from the business sometime over the weekend. He said that a new laptop had been delivered via UPS to the business on Friday, Feb. 4 at 5 p.m. On Monday the box containing the brand new computer was missing.

Police could not find any forced entry to the building, or any other signs of a break in. The manager said he didn’t believe any of his employees had taken it, but there was a cleaning crew that had been in the building over the weekend.


Bathroom Break in

Police responded to a reported burglary on Third Avenue West at 8:45 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 3. When they arrived they spoke to the victim who said her husband was the last person to leave the house today. When she arrived home she found the house had been ransacked. 

During their investigation police determined that the burglars entered the house through a bathroom window, which they had left open. They also believe that the burglars left through a den door, as it was unlocked. The victim made a partial list of items that were missing for police. Police dusted for fingerprints, and were able to find a few.


Storage Burglary

On Friday, Feb. 4 at 10:40 p.m. police responded to an apartment building located on Dexter Avenue North after receiving reports of a break in at the building’s storage area. Upon arrival police spoke with the victim, who is a tenant who was issued a storage locker with his apartment. The storage units are only accessible by use of an electronic key. 

The victim said he’d last been in his storage unit sometime on Wednesday, Feb. 2. Today at 10:40 p.m. the resident went down to the storage area and found some of his belongings sitting on the floor outside of his unit, which was standing open. 

It was unclear how the burglar made entry into the storage area, although it appeared that one entrance to the area appeared had been left open. The culprit could have gained entrance without a key.

Before entering the storage area, police conducted a room search for suspects, but were unable to find any burglars. Police inspected the invaded storage unit to determine how the burglar had gotten into it. They determined that the storage units are faulty, and the doors can be opened despite the locks. They then noticed that several other units appeared to have been opened this way.

The victim told police that he didn't think anything was missing but he was not sure at the moment. I provided him with a victim follow up form and a case number.


Second Storage Burglary

A few days later, on Wednesday, Feb. 9, a nearby storage unit was broken into. A woman living in an apartment building located on Dexter Avenue North called 911 to report her storage unit had been broken into. She said that several storage units had been broken into in early January, and that her unit hadn’t been one of the violated ones. She said she’d last checked her storage unit about a month ago.

During the early January break in the burglar had pried open a metal door that led to the storage units. The door had since been repaired. The burglars were again successful in prying open the metal door. Inside three storage units, all with, as the police report describes it, wood doors and cheap metal hasps. The hasps had been pried off with little effort.

The victim said that several items had been taken from her storage unit; she didn’t have serial numbers for any of them. Staff at the building is looking into getting surveillance video for police.


Tool Thief

A man called police to report his house, which he is in the process of remodeling himself, had been broken into overnight on the morning of Thursday, Feb. 10. Police arrived on the scene, and were able to speak with a neighbor who had been home. He said that at about 6 a.m. he heard the diesel engine of a truck outside, and saw headlights shining into his house. He said he had thought this was odd, as he knows his neighbor doesn’t usually start working on the house until 7 a.m.

The truck's engine continued running for several minutes. After a while the neighbor got suspicious, and got dressed. When he turned on his porch light to see what was going on, he heard the truck take off northbound as soon as the light went on. He did not get a good look at the truck.  

When the victim and his friend arrived to start working on the house, they discovered that somebody had broken in and stolen several tools. There were two sets of footprints on the deck in the morning frost, one of boots and one of tennis shoes. Among the tools that were taken were compressors, drills, and toolbox full of tools. The victim said he has his name written in black ink on all of his tools. The victim told police that he thought he locked the door, but there were no signs of forced entry to the house.