Bench dweller

On March 9 at 11:15 p.m., a Queen Anne man was in his home in the 900 block of Dexter Avenue North when he heard someone playing loud music outside. He went outside and saw a man sitting on a bench in front of the building listening to music on a wireless speaker. 

The resident asked the man to turn the music down because it was late. When the man did not initially respond, the resident asked him a second time to turn the music down, saying if he didn’t, he would call the police. 

The man jumped up and pulled a knife out, flicking it open and holding it. He then stepped toward the resident and yelled a profanity-riddled threat.

The resident immediately returned inside and called 911. 

Police officers arrived to find the suspect sitting on the bench outside the building. Police noted the suspect seemed drunk, and he admitted he’d been drinking whiskey. 

After the victim positively identified the suspect, police arrested him and found the knife in his bag. The man was taken into custody and booked into King County Jail for assault. 


Contraband alcohol

Police responded to a 911 call from a store in the 100 block of Mercer Street, stating that a man had shoplifted a cardboard box full of beer and champagne. When an employee confronted him, he swung a champagne bottle at the employee before throwing it on the ground and leaving with the box. 

The shoplifting incident happened at 4:30 a.m. on March 11. 

At 5:40 a.m., the same police officer heard via his police radio that a man matching the description of his shoplift suspect was reported selling beer and alcohol out of a cardboard box at Third Avenue and Pike Street. Police responded and found the man, who initially tried to hide the box but finally admitted it was his. 

When police informed the suspect that the beer and champagne was reported stolen, he changed his story and said he was just watching it for a friend. He said his friend had gone to get cigarettes. The friend never showed up while police had the man in custody.

Officers brought the store employee to the scene, but she couldn’t positively identify if it was the shoplift suspect. She did confirm the alcohol was stolen earlier that morning. 

Police let the suspect go, and he tried to take the box of alcohol with him. 

The stolen alcohol was returned to the store.


Kicked out

On March 1 at 10:38 a.m., police responded to a home in the 3400 block of 33rd Avenue West in response to a burglary allegedly committed by a former friend of the homeowner. 

The homeowner told police his brother had been in the house at the time of the burglary. The brother spoke with police and told them he’d been sleeping and woke up at 10 a.m. to see the suspects, two men, in the house removing a table from the living room. He told the suspects that they were not allowed to be there and they needed to leave. 

The suspects left the home, but as the brother closed the door behind them one of the suspects became verbally abusive and hostile. The brother locked the suspects out, and one of them turned around and began pounding on the front door and window, then kicked in the front door. 

As the suspects reentered, the brother went to call the homeowner. 

He last saw the suspects taking items from the closet. 

The homeowner told police that he has known both suspects for about a year and a half, and that he let one of them sleep there in February and even gave him a key. He told the suspect to move out on Feb. 27 and to get all of his belongings out while the homeowner was home.

The suspects first entered the house using a key. They took a table belonging to the victim and items from a closet. There was a smeared shoeprint on the front door, and the wood doorframe was broken.