The following are selected reports from the Seattle Police Department’s West Precinct. They represent the officers’ accounts of the events described. 

Cut Window Screen

At approximately 12:15 p.m. on June 22, police responded to a home in the 4200 block of 26th Avenue West for a burglary call.

The victim told officers she is renting the house, but is in the process of moving out. She was away from home between 6 p.m. the previous evening and noon that day, and during that time someone had cut the screen out of a window that had been left open for ventilation and came inside the home.

The victim said most of her belongings have been moved out, but she was using the home as a kids art studio during that time.

She went to the home at 10 a.m. that morning to start cleaning but heard footsteps inside. Thinking it was a coworker with the kids’ painting classes, she left.

Around noon, she received a phone call from a co-worker, saying they’d just gotten to the house and found a side door standing open and the window screen cut.

She said it didn’t look like anything was taken from the house, but it was mostly children’s art supplies inside anyway.

Lock Picker

Shortly after 12:30 p.m. on June 23, police responded to an apartment complex for a burglary call.

The building manager told officers the building’s roving security found a suspect inside a little after 3 a.m. He had picked the lock of a door that leads to an east alley.

The security guard reported that the suspect’s hands were covered in blood from picking the lock. Security did not detain the suspect, and just told him to leave.

The building manager had already replaced the lock by the time police responded, at a cost of approximately $300.

Open Window

A little after 9 a.m. on June 24, police responded to a reported burglary at an apartment on West Etruria Street.

The victim said she left a window in her ground-floor apartment half open when she went to bed at about 11 p.m. the previous night. She woke up at 7 a.m. that morning, and found all of her doors, and the window open.

After looking around her apartment, she found her keys outside on the ground, and noticed her backpack was missing. She later found the backpack lying on the ground down the street, sans her wallet. It contained her driver’s license, two credit cards, $80 cash, a paycheck and two food handler cards.

When she got home from work and checked her mail, she found her paycheck and the food handler cards in the mailbox.

The victim told police she’d called her bank to cancel the stolen credit cards. They told her that charges were made at a gas station and grocery store near her apartment a little after 5 a.m.

Wine Fight

At approximately 8:45 p.m. on June 23, police were called to a restaurant in the 600 block of Queen Anne Avenue North for an assault.

Staff said a man wearing a plaid shirt was hit in the head with a wine bottle. He’d left the restaurant when police arrived, but employees said they’d recognize him because he was bleeding from the face.

Another officer in the area found the victim walking in the 400 block of First Avenue North. He was wearing a plaid shirt and bleeding from the left eye.

He told police somebody had tried to take his wine bottle and that he fought the suspect off before being struck in the face with the wine bottle.

He wouldn’t say much more.

Help Yourself

Just after 11 p.m. on June 24, police responded to a coffee shop in the 200 block of Fifth Avenue North for a disturbance.

When officers arrived they spotted the suspect pushing a shopping cart in the parking lot. She said she’d been refused service, so she walked around the counter and poured herself a cup of coffee from the coffee pot.

She said she was the owner and manager of the shop so she had the authority to pour her own beverage. She said after she’d poured her coffee she was accosted by the employee who put his arm around her neck and forced her out of the lobby.

An employee told police the suspect was refused service because she has been criminally trespassed from the store. After being asked to leave, the suspect walked around the counter, grabbed a cup and poured herself a cup of coffee without paying for it.

When he saw the suspect behind the counter helping herself, the employee approached the suspect to tell her again to leave. As he was approaching her, the suspect swung a fist at the employee who dogged her. He grabbed the suspect from behind and put an arm around her neck to restrain her. Another employee knocked the cup of coffee from the suspect’s hand, and she slapped him in the chest. The employees were eventually able to get the suspect out of the lobby.

Because the suspect was already criminally trespassed from the store, and she tried to fight employees to obtain merchandise without paying for it, she was arrested and charged with robbery.

While screening her police discovered the suspect had a warrant out for her arrest. As police were mirandizing her, the suspect said she didn’t need a lawyer because she was a lawyer. She was booked into King County Jail.

Intimidation Tactic

Just after 7 a.m. on June 25, a man called 911 to report that a suspect had approached his car with a knife in the intersection of Roy Street and First Avenue North.

The victim told police he’d been leaving the parking lot and was trying to make a left turn onto First Avenue when the suspect approached his passenger side window, which was rolled down halfway, and started tapping a knife on it.

He asked the victim if he was trying to take a left. The victim said yes, and the suspect continued tapping the knife in a threatening manner.

The suspect eventually walked away and went across the street. The victim called 911 and watched the suspect until police arrived. Police arrived and found the knife on the suspect.

He was arrested for harassment, and during screening police found he had an arrest warrant out of Marysville for assault and malicious mischief.