The following are selected reports from the Seattle Police Department’s West Precinct. They represent the officers’ accounts of the events described. 


Regular Shoplifter

A little before 2 p.m. on Aug. 11, police responded to a store in the 500 block of First Avenue North for a shoplifting incident.

Store employees called 911 and reported the shoplifter had assaulted an employee and was last seen getting on a King County Metro bus. Responding police boarded the bus at Third Avenue and Stewart Street, but the suspect was no longer riding.

The store owner and employee told police the suspect comes into the store about twice a week to shoplift, and also frequents nearby businesses. They said he’s been arrested for shoplifting at their store before.

That day, the suspect came in and stole several bottles of whiskey. When the employee tried to stop him he hit her over the head with his fist and continued to the exit. Police advised the store owner to get a court order against the suspect.

Beer Thief

At approximately 1:15 p.m. on Aug. 14, police responded to a shoplifting incident at a store in the 500 block of First Avenue West.

A store employee told officers a suspect had taken two 24-packs of beer. The employee said he’d first confronted the suspect inside the store and tried to get him to pay . After the suspect exited the store without doing so, the employee followed him outside and attempted to block his path.

The suspect elbowed the victim and then punched him in the face. He continued striking the victim, until the he pushed the suspect down to the ground. He dropped one of the 24-packs. The victim picked it up while the suspect got up and walked away southbound on First Avenue.

The victim said he’d seen the suspect in the store previously, but never noticed him shoplifting before.

Persistent Thief

Just before 8 a.m. on Aug. 14, the owner of a store in the 300 block of Denny Way called 911 to report a shoplifting incident that had just occurred.

He said the suspect, who has previously been criminally trespassed from the store, entered the store and quickly concealed several phone chargers in her clothing. When the owner confronted her and told her to leave, she refused and pushed him.

The owner and suspect got into a shoving match as he tried to forcefully remove her from the store. He chased her around the store, and as she approached the door she grabbed a mug from a shelf and threw it at him. The owner said the mug missed him, but it broke when it hit the ground.

The suspect left the store and then left the area heading southbound on Fourth Avenue. The owner told police the suspect is a regular shoplifter and that employees have told her not to come back on numerous occasions.

Police noted that the owner was missing several buttons from his shirt due to the scuffle.

Aggressive Man

A little after 4:30 p.m. on Aug. 4, police responded to a 911 call reporting a suspect who appeared intoxicated or mentally ill spraying pepper spray on passers by and attempting to start fights.

The victims told police the suspect approached one of them as she was was walking near the intersection of Thomas Street and Queen Anne Avenue North, and began yelling at her. The second victim witnessed this and approached the suspect and started yelling at him to stop.

The suspect pulled out a can of pepper spray and sprayed the victims before walking away eastbound on John Street.

The female victim told police that she sees the suspect regularly, and that he likes to hang out in Queen Anne. Responding officers searched the neighborhood, but didn’t find him.

Impatient Customer

At approximately 7:15 p.m. on Aug. 8, an employee of a fast food restaurant in the 1100 block of Elliott Avenue West called 911 to report an aggressive customer.

When police responded the suspect was no longer on scene. The victim stated she’d been working at the drive through window when the suspect, who was a drive-thru customer, became extremely impatient.

When the victim handed the suspect her food, the suspect pulled the hot sauce packets out of the bag and threw them at the victim saying, “That’s what you get!”

The victim wrote down the suspect’s name and license plate number, and gave that information to the police.

Unlawful Intimidation

A little after 11 p.m. on Aug. 8, police responded to a 911 call from the 400 block of Broad Street reporting a man was waving a knife around.

When police arrived on scene Seattle Center security had detained the suspect. A knife was recovered from his front right pocket. Officers spoke with the victim, who is a street musician.

He said he’d noticed the suspect bothering passers by before he approached him. He was worried the suspect was going to damage his instrument, so he asked the suspect to leave him alone.

The suspect pulled a knife out of his right pants pocket and said, “Come on!” like he wanted to fight. When the victim didn’t engage the suspect walked away eastbound, later to be detained by security.

After the victim positively identified the suspect in custody, the suspect was arrested and booked into King County Jail for ‘unlawful use of weapons to intimidate another.’