The Seattle Police Department reported Wednesday it has identified the suspect in five fires set at Seattle businesses between Oct. 28 and Nov. 28 last year, including the four-alarm fire at a lumber yard in North Queen Anne that caused more than $4 million in damages.

Matthew D. Hooper, 38, is facing four counts of second-degree arson in King County Superior Court, and is scheduled to be arraigned on March 13. He is currently in the Whatcom County Jail on unrelated charges. His bail in King County was set at $275,000 on Wednesday, Feb. 27.

According to an SPD Blotter post, Hooper is actually suspected of setting five fires between Oct. 28 and Nov. 28, but is being charged for four set within a three-mile radius over the course of three weeks, including the four-alarm Nov. 10 Gascoigne Lumber Company fire that caused an estimated $4.3 million in damage.

Hooper is alleged to have admitted to setting two of the November fires, and also a fire at the Christopher Togawa Insurance Building in the 200 block of Etruria Street on Oct. 28, which police had not been aware of initially, according a report by SPD Detective John Lewitt.

The first fire investigated by SPD and the Seattle Fire Department was started outside the Elks Club No. 92 building, 3014 Third Ave., in the early morning of Nov. 8. Hooper is alleged to have stacked wood against the side entrance door, dousing it with lighter fluid and then lighting the fire with a handheld device, according to the report. The fire spread into the building causing an estimated $250,000 in damage.

Hooper allegedly set the Nov. 10 fire at Gascoigne Lumber Company, the point of origin determined to be a an open bay on the south side of the east end of a storage building filled with finished lumber and wood trim, again reportedly covering wood with lighter fluid and lighting it with a handheld device.

The Gascoigne Lumber Company fire spread to five buildings, and was the first four-alarm fire in Seattle since 2010. More than 140 firefighters responded.

Police tracked the suspect’s movements using footage from multiple security cameras belonging to neighboring Seattle Pacific University, according to the police report. Hooper is reportedly later seen at the 7-11 on Nickerson Street after the fire was set.

Wood pallets were found set on fire in the planting strip next to the Seattle Gymnastics Academy in Ballard around 5:40 a.m. Nov. 19. A fire investigator found a red cap from a charcoal lighter fluid bottle and a paper coffee cup with the name “A. Matt” on it. The cap was the piece of evidence that would eventually generate a DNA match to Hooper through the Washington State Crime Lab on Feb. 6, according to the police report, however, the 38-year-old was already a suspect at that point.

The fourth fire for which Hooper is being charged was set in the carport area of the Ballard Smoke Shop, 5439 Ballard Ave. N.W., again with a stack of pallets and lighter fluid, according to the police report; a 64-ounce bottle of lighter fluid was recovered at the scene and submitted for DNA and latent prints.

The carport was located under an apartment building.

“Had the Seattle Fire Department not responded so promptly, the defendant could have burnt down the occupied apartment building where many residents would have been sleeping, given that the defendant started the fire at 6:25 AM,” according to the charging document filed by King County Deputy Prosecutor Rhyan Anderson on Feb. 27.

Hooper was identified as a suspect on Nov. 30, having allegedly been caught on security cameras at every arson scene wearing the same distinctive clothing, according to the report.

Lewitt reports responding to St. Luke’s Episcopal Church to search for Hooper, who was later stopped and questioned. He reportedly provided his current address as 5130 Leary Ave. N.W., which is the address for the Ballard Food Bank.

“I thought that the suspect may be taking advantage of the church’s food services and going to St. Luke’s after leaving the fires,” Lewitt writes in his report. “The last two fires were less than a mile away from St. Luke’s.”

Seattle Pacific University security officers contacted Hooper on Dec. 7, after responding to a report of a white male looking into windows on campus. One of the security officers later compared Hooper to footage from the Gascoigne Lumber fire, according to the police report, but Hooper could not be located in the area.

Following the reported Feb. 6 DNA match, Lewitt and Detective Marty Heuchert contacted Hooper at the Whatcom County Jail on Feb. 26. Hooper reportedly admitted to the Ballard Smoke Shop fire, and then added he set the fire at the CTIA insurance building by dropping lighter fluid through a mail slot onto a couch.

Togawa confirmed the fire after Lewitt contacted him by phone, the report states, as well as the cause. That fire destroyed the 6,000-square-foot building, where two other businesses were located. Togawa estimated the damage at more than $1 million.

“Hooper said no one is getting hurt and if there is any damage I have the money to cover this,” the report states. “Hooper admitted to lighting the Lumber yard fire.”

Hooper reportedly obtained the lighter fluid by stealing it from the Fred Meyer in Ballard, according to the report, the suspect allegedly telling detectives he set the fires to protect himself.

Hooper is in custody in Whatcom County pending superior court charges that include two counts of third-degree assault, and one count each of second-degree burglary, third-degree theft and malicious mischief in the third degree.

“The defendant has a concerning history of damaging property; the defendant has six convictions for malicious mischief over the course of 13 years,” the charging document states.